[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-02-26

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Mar 4 15:00:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 10:23, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

> Am So., 1. März 2020 um 01:14 Uhr schrieb Tedd Sterr <
> teddsterr at outlook.com>:
> > 4b) Advance XEP-0198 (Stream Management) -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0198.html
> > Georg is unsure, but it's doing its job, expect for the unclear resume
> host connection mechanism.
> > Dave noted a comment on s2s, possibly from MattJ, which he has yet to
> consider, but s2s is under-specified at best.
> > Jonas doesn't think it's possible to move forward if there are zero s2s
> implementations; Dave doesn't think any were explicitly mentioned, which
> would itself be a procedural reason for not advancing.
> > Zash mentions that mod_smacks for Prosody does support XEP-0198 in s2s,
> though not resumption, and it's disabled by default - Dave thinks it's
> unclear what resumption would do for s2s.
> >
> > Jonas: [on-list] (yet to catch up on the thread)
> > Daniel: -1 (people have brought up valid, but fixable, concerns)
> > Zash: -1 (haven't read that thread yet)
> > Dave: -1 (lack of clarity on s2s implementations)
> > Georg: -1
>

> Do we have a way forward with this that isn’t just ignoring it?
> Are any of the authors who are still active in the community (looking
> at you Matt and Dave) willing to incorporate whatever the consensus is
> on how to proceed?

Sure.

> Do we want to eliminate s2s from the XEP?

I don't know. Mostly, I don't know if anyone implements it. I'm pretty sure
M-Link does on S2S, because I think I put it there - but whether anything
else does I don't know.

> Are server developers interested in implementing 198 s2s?

I might, in Metre. But I'd definitely only do acks, not resumption - I
don't think there's any value on resumption for S2S.