[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0184: Message Delivery Receipts

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Fri Mar 6 10:51:17 UTC 2020

* Andrew Nenakhov <andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com> [2020-03-06 11:10]:
> It is not possible to determine with Delivery Receipts either. If you
> were offline when they were sent, you will not receive them.
> If the recipient was offline when the messages were sent, a client
> won't send the receipts too. So, it is only relatively good in a
> situation when both chat participants are online.

This is interesting. In my client, I always request delivery receipts
for chat messages, and I always send a receipt for a message that
requested one.

Why / how do you make that depend on the availability of the other
party? Are you using service discovery on the individual client to
determine whether they actually support the feature? That would break in
funny ways with Carbons / offline storage / MAM.

Does your server not store delivery receipts in offline storage / MAM?
Then the server should be fixed (as should be 0313).

> Servers, on the other hands, ARE designed to be constantly connected,
> so it should be a server's job to keep track of such things (and we
> actually do exactly this).

In theory, you could make a server that plays 0184/0333 proxy/bouncer,
acknowledging to an external sender when the message got delivered to a
client, e.g. if it knows by means of 0198 acks or a similar protocol.

It could also translate between 0333 and 0184, with the obvious
shortcomings of the mapping that were discussed in this thread.

Georg