[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Tue Mar 31 20:58:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 08:38:20PM -0000, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0357.
>
> Title: Push Notifications
> Abstract:
> This specification defines a way for an XMPP servers to deliver
> information for use in push notifications to mobile and other devices.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2020-04-08.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes.  Something is needed to solve the APNs (and possibly FCM) problem.  I don't know if this specific XEP is that thing, though (per below).

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

(apologies if this does not conform to the Last Call conventions - I'm new to this)

It might, but I have never found a client/server combination where both have implemented this XEP that causes notifications to be delivered to an iOS device.  Either the implementations I've used are broken, or this XEP is insufficient.

In particular, I have tried recent Prosody and ejabberd versions with the respective "official" extensions for this XEP, along with the most recent Siskin, Monal, and Xabber versions.  All have failed to provide notification of incoming messages to the iPhone being tested (a 6S with the latest iOS - same on cell data and wifi).  Specifically, a message is sent to the client on the iOS device, but the message is not received by that device until the client is manually opened (i.e. the user has no idea a new message is waiting for them until they open the XMPP client manually).

If I am testing incorrectly, please let me know.  I would be very interested to hear of anyone that has gotten this XEP to work correctly on an iOS device, as I haven't yet met someone who has (and I've asked quite a few people).  Especially helpful would be if such a person could tell me of a specific public known-working XMPP server, and specific client name/version to test with.

I'm happy to provide any clarifications or other details if they would be helpful.  Thanks for everyone's work on this - I am very hopeful we can have a solution in the near future, whatever that may be.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/