[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 6 22:03:15 UTC 2020

On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 20:09, Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> Title: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms
> Abstract:
> A method for advertising and negotiating types of channel binding
> supported by SCRAM based SASL mechanisms.

I'm somewhat torn about this.

The TL;DR is "horrible syntax, but really useful idea".

Simon Josefsson was discussing something related to this in KITTEN the
other week, and I suggested he could experiment in XMPP, where channel
bindings have some interest.

I wonder if just listing channel bindings, and mandating that channel
bindings are offered for all mechanisms that support them equally, might be
better.

As to whether this lives here or IETF, I'm inclined to say it lives here -
as Sam noted, XMPP-WG is dead, and KITTEN is probably not ideal given that
this is very much an XMPPish thing.

I would absolutely encourage KITTEN people to review it, though, and the
only thing stopping me raising it there now is that I'm assuming Sam will.

So, I would love to see this problem tackled properly, but without a syntax
that involves me wanting to stab myself in the eyes with a fork.

I'm therefore going to +1 it - because I want to work on the problem - but
with the understanding that I'm expecting changes to the approach early on,
and I would be very reticent in having this move to Draft in this form.

Dave.