[Standards] XEP-0016, blocking incoming IQs - interpretation problem

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Fri May 8 12:34:30 UTC 2020

On 5/8/20 12:41 PM, Bartłomiej Górny wrote:
> Hello
>
> We have a question, how exactly should a privacy list behave if it is
> set up to block all incoming IQs. Namely: should it block all incoming
> iqs whatsoever (including iq responses to the user's iq requests sent to
> the server, iq pushes from the server etc), or only iq stanzas sent by
> other users (entities with non-empty localpart other then the user's own)?

From xep16:

<iq/> -- blocks incoming IQ stanzas

so this means all IQ stanzas, independently of their type.

Whether or not if this is sensible is another question.

Clients wishing to perform an IQ request could switch to a temporary
privacy list (or modifying the active list) prior sending the IQ request
which allows IQs from the remote entity for the time of the request.

- Florian