[Standards] Feedback: XEP-0353: Jingle Message Initiation

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Sun May 10 19:48:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 10.05.20 21:41, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> To be clear the fallback I have in mind is for implementations that do
> support Jingle RTP sessions but not Jingle Message Init.
> In those cases you clearly don’t want to fall back to sending a link
> but just initiate the session directly with the full jid.

Yes, I expected that as a possible fallback as well and in that case
obviously disco is needed. But that doesn't mean that in some usecases,
the link fallback isn't preferred.
The link fallback is useful in multi-device scenarios when some devices
support JMI. E.g. Conversations on phone and some terminal client on
desktop would result in JMI supported, however I may want to accept the
call on my desktop nonetheless.
The link fallback could even be send when none of the available devices
announce Jingle support at all. This can happen if devices are
"offline", but available through push messages.

Cheers,
Marvin