[Standards] Sprint for Message Routing

Michal Piotrowski michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com
Mon May 11 08:04:06 UTC 2020

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for organising this. I'd like to participate in this sprint. I also
have the following corner case.

Routing a message to bare JID when the recipient is connected but didn't
send the initial presence stanzas yet.
Currently our server, MongooseIM delivers messages addressed to bare JID to
all online/available user's sessions. The session is considered
online/available only after sending the initial presence.

Best regards
Michal Piotrowski
Software Architect at https://www.erlang-solutions.com/
email: michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com
skype: twitter/github/medium: michalwski

On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 18:35, Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In light of yet another comment-less expiry of a Last Call for XEP-0280,
> we
> came to the conclusion that we need focused work on Message Routing rules.
>
> While I won’t participate directly, I’m going to organize this sprint so
> that
> the participants can concentrate on the actual standards and
> implementation
> work. The idea of a sprint came in light of the great success which is the
> new
> OMEMO version, and we hope to be able to accumulate a similar success in
> the
> context of message routing.
>
> The goal of the sprint is to work out corner cases of routing of message
> stanzas of all types in the presence of multiple different
> devices/resources
> on a single account, maybe not all of them online at the same time. I.e.
> the
> roles of XEP-0280, the rules in XEP-0313 and of course XEP-0409.
>
> Due to the state of the world, the sprint shall take place remotely. The
> remote platform will probably be one or another Jitsi Meet instance [1].
>
> Please reply to this message on-list or privately to me if you are
> interested
> in participating within a week. Next week around this time, we’ll start
> agreeing on a timeslot and work out the meeting details.
>
> If you cannot or do not want to participate, but still know of important
> and/
> or easily overlooked routing cases which should be taken into
> consideration,
> feel free to reply with that information to this message on the list.
>
> kind regards,
> Jonas
>
>    [1]: Unfortunately, Jitsi Meet has multiple accessibility issues. One is
>         the fact that it still won’t work reliably with non-Chromium
> browsers.
>         The other is hearsay I got from visually impaired people that the
> UI
>         is not usable for them. Also unfortunately, I don’t know of another
>         platform we could use without sponsorship. If you have suggestions
> for
>         a more accessible alternative or want to participate in the sprint
> and
>         would be hindered by the use of Jitsi Meet, please contact me
>         privately and, if you wish, GPG encrypted for your privacy.
>
>         Please keep the discussion about the meeting platform off-list
> though,
>         it is not on-topic for standards@
> ._______________________________________________
> Standards mailing list

Code Sync & Erlang Solutions Conferences
<https://www2.codesync.global/l/23452/2019-11-13/6sypwx>

*
*

Code BEAM
Lite ITA - Bologna: Rescheduled

Code BEAM STO - Stockholm: Rescheduled

ElixirConf EU - Warsaw: 7-8 October 2020

Code Mesh - London: 5-6 November
2020

*
*

Erlang Solutions cares about your data and privacy; please find
all details about the basis for communicating with you and the way we
process your data in our Privacy Policy
<https://www.erlang-solutions.com/privacy-policy.html>. You can update your
email preferences or opt-out from receiving Marketing emails here
<https://www2.erlang-solutions.com/email-preference?epc_hash=JtO6C7Q2rJwCdZxBx3Ad8jI2D4TJum7XcUWcgfjZ8YY>.