[Standards] Stream startup / feature "negotiation" (was: Proposed XMPP Extension: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms)

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue May 12 17:10:28 UTC 2020

On Donnerstag, 7. Mai 2020 21:09:35 CEST Sam Whited wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2020, at 13:11, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> > I did, at first. It is totally irrelevant if it is an extra stream
> > feature or not. This just seemed a little bit more esthetic.
>
> I disagree, it's very relevant. We can discuss both, but how things work
> and are implemented may be entirely different if this is a stream
> feature that may be negotiated before auth vs. an informational element
> on an existing stream feature.

You seem to assume that every thing in <stream:features/> may have to be
negotiated at some point. That is not true.

XEP-0115 [1] (and the redo XEP-0390) are a prime example of a purely
informational feature which is *not* negotiated.

Similarly, the channel binding "top level" feature proposed by Florian would
simply inform the client about the supported channel binding types, without
having to negotiate anything.

(I split this off because I don’t think it is of much relevance anymore since
we figured out later on in the thread that extending the <mechanisms/> element
is completely fine. Just wanted to mention that for clarity.)

kind regards,
Jonas

   [1]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0115.html#stream