Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed May 13 11:50:42 UTC 2020

On 13 May 2020, at 03:40, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at mozilla.com> wrote:
> <snip/>
> We might want to face reality
> and allow text-multi to treat each line as semantically independent.

Sadly, I don’t think it would just be ‘facing reality’ to say that text-multi isn’t multi-line text - there are implementations (every library I’ve worked with, I think) that treats text-multi as a multi-line string (i.e. in support of what xep4 requires).

I am sympathetic to the argument that we’ve gotten into a mess, but I don’t think getting out of it (given that 4 is Final) would be as simple as xep 4 changing semantics for text-multi - it’s not clear to me if that’s what being suggested, but if it is I think it would be painful.

That said, XEPs building on top of XEPs by modifying or expanding underlying semantics (or syntax) by negotiation /is/ ok.

/K