[Standards] XEP-0333: meaning of 'acknowledged'

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu May 21 16:21:44 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020, at 10:45, Matthew Wild wrote:
> If a user scrolls down to the bottom of a chat log, we know they are
> present and looking at the screen. This is user interaction. Should a
> client send <acknowledged/>?

I definitely read section 8.2:

> Clients MUST NOT mark a message as acknowledged without any user
> interaction.

As meaning "user explicitly presses a button", however, I think we
should change this if it is indeed what it meant.

We need distinct mechanisms for both use cases and I think that explicit
acknowledgement with a button would be much better as part of a broader
"reactions" XEP (eg. displaying emoji which could also be used to show a
single ack button that gives a thumbs up or increments a count or
similar). Because of that I'd say it's better to change this to make it
allow user scrolling and make it clear that this is the intention.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited