[Standards] XEP-0333: meaning of 'acknowledged'

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Thu May 21 17:05:55 UTC 2020

While scrolling could be taken as user interaction, I don't think that was the intention.

The Introduction states 'Message Delivery Receipts (XEP-0184) … does not provide any mechanism for the user to indicate that they have read or acknowledged the message', and in Terminology 'The term "read" … directly maps to the displayed element'; so I would understand displayed and acknowledged to be two separate actions, and scrolling only really implies display of messages. If scrolling triggers 'acknowledged', what is 'displayed' for?

'received' means the message has arrived on my device, not that I have necessarily seen it;
'displayed' means the message has been displayed in a chat and that chat is visible, though whether I have read or understood that message is a separate question;
'acknowledged' should go beyond merely displaying the message (either by explicit or automatic scrolling), and indicates some explicit interaction with the message itself (possibly to indicate that I have read and understood the message, and by extension all previous messages.)

The implication would be that not all messages need to be acknowledged; though it's difficult to know exactly what the original intention was for this.