[Standards] Bookmarks and autojoin issues

Stefan stefan at debxwoody.de
Sun May 24 13:18:20 UTC 2020

Am Sonntag, den 24.05.2020 um 00:41:53 +0200 schrieb mathieui at mathieui.net:
> The use cases I have in mind are a bit extreme (e.g. people with > 100
> MUCs in their autojoined bookmarks), which are unusable on mobile, for
> example, where screen space is limited and you probably want to limit
> yourself to the "important" ones. Or when joining big IRC channels with
> more than 1000 users, you also do not want that on mobile as that much
> activity is never good for battery life, however optimized the client
> might be. Even for smaller cases, such as 20-30 rooms, this can be a
> limiting factor.

I think this is a valid use case and not only for a big set of MUCs.
An idea I had in mind is to use the client-submitted resourcepart of
the full jid [1] to disable the autojoin feature.

Let's imagine the bookmark looks like this.

    <storage xmlns='storage:bookmarks'>
      <conference name='Council of Oberon'
                  autojoin='true'
                  jid='council at conference.underhill.org'>
        <nick>Puck</nick>
      </conference>
    </storage>

The user has 3 clients. Those clients supports the client-submitted
resourcepart and the user (or the client) defines the names:

* profanity.7abc
* Laptop
* Conversations.ABC

If the User decides in the client "Disable autojoin on this device",
the client will set something like this in the <storage>:

<disable-autojoin>Conversations.ABC</disable-autojoin>

The result will look like this:

    <storage xmlns='storage:bookmarks'>
      <conference name='Council of Oberon'
                  autojoin='true'
                  jid='council at conference.underhill.org'>
        <nick>Puck</nick>
        <disable-autojoin>Conversations.ABC</disable-autojoin>
      </conference>
    </storage>

The client can check if his resource is defined as disable-autojoin.
If this is the case, the client will skip the autojoin.

[1] rfc6120 - 7. Resource Binding