[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0050: Ad-Hoc Commands

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue May 26 16:52:37 UTC 2020

On Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020 17:40:08 CEST Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0050 before
> presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>

> During the Call for Experience, please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What software has XEP-0050 implemented? Please note that the
> protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at
> least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to
> advance from Draft to Final.

aioxmpp [1] (LGPLv3+) implements the client side of Ad-Hoc commands. It also
has an example which is an interactive, Qt-based Ad-Hoc command browser and
client [2].

It also implements the server side to some extent, but off the top of my head
I’m not sure how much testing and use that got and if it’s even complete.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0050? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

No. This was one of the more painless XEPs to implement.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0050 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

I don’t recall any issues.

   [1]: https://github.com/horazont/aioxmpp
   [2]: https://github.com/horazont/aioxmpp/tree/devel/examples/adhoc_browser