[Standards] Renaming XEP "Draft" stage to "Stable"

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:45:08 UTC 2021

Hi folks,

This has been a recurring topic over the years - that the different stages
of a XEP's lifecycle are not always clear to people, especially those new
to the community.

One of the common misconceptions is that the "Draft" stage means that a XEP
is only a work in progress, essentially a proposal. In practice a XEP only
reaches "Draft" stage when it has a bunch of implementation experience, and
Council believes it looks ready for broad adoption.

To address this, we are planning to rename "Draft" to "Stable". A PR to
update XEP-0001 (the document that describes our standards process) has
been proposed by Sam Whited, and has received favourable reviews by the
Council and Board. It can be found at
https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/1100/files

Before merging this change we wanted to make the broader community aware
that it is in the pipeline, and give a chance for comments.

Regards,
Matthew