[Standards] MAM Sync Strategies

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Fri Aug 27 09:52:24 UTC 2021

On 27.08.21 11:45, Andrew Nenakhov wrote:

> пт, 27 авг. 2021 г. в 12:59, JC Brand <lists at opkode.com
> <mailto:lists at opkode.com>>:
>

>     Webclients have restrictions that others don't, so while what you
>     wrote makes sense, I do something a bit different with Converse.
>

> Web clients do not need to store messages locally at all, they can
> just load everything when a user goes to a dialog that he didn't load
> before. The only exception to this we've found is OMEMO messages. For
> them and their keys we use lndexedDB.

Converse is made so that it can be integrated into a website where the
user might be clicking many links and navigate throughout the site,
thereby causing the page to regularly refresh/reload. If you don't
cache/store the messages somewhere, you'll have to refetch them every
single time the page loads, which is wasteful and causes notable delays.

So no, you can't always just load everything from the server.