[Standards] MAM Sync Strategies

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Fri Aug 27 11:18:47 UTC 2021

On 27.08.21 13:12, Andrew Nenakhov wrote:

> пт, 27 авг. 2021 г. в 16:03, JC Brand <lists at opkode.com
> <mailto:lists at opkode.com>>:
>

>     If the site allows users to show multiple chats side-by-side then
>     you can't discard chat history.
>

> Ok, so you have users that use so many simultaneous chats and scroll
> them up and down that fast, so you can't ever dump the messages
> starting from, say, 20th? Those are mightily rabid users, I must say!

For reasons not worth going into, we disabled infinite scrolling to
fetch older messages, so it's not so simple to just restrict the history
and then let users scroll up to fetch older messages.

Obviously this doesn't apply to most other use-cases, but my point is
that it's dangerous to make assumptions that it's "easy" to just do X
and that you never need to cache messages in a webclient.

I'm sure you can get quite far by never caching messages locally, but
you are then also restricting yourself to certain use-cases. If you
decide to cache messages locally, then you have other tradeoffs to
contend with. Converse has always cached messages locally and it's
worked well over the years.