[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: DOAP usage in XMPP

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Jan 14 16:23:05 UTC 2021

On Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2021 22:59:23 CET Sam Whited wrote:
> I am not concerned with making something that is perfect over something
> that is good, I would settle for something that is mediocre over
> actively harmful and bad.
>
> If effort is the concern, I will happily create and document an
> alternative just to avoid the over engineered mess we seem to want to
> find ourselves in.

Will you also go ahead and rewrite the code which has already been written for
DOAP integration [1]? Will you also go ahead and port the projects which
already have DOAP files? Will you also continue to put effort in this?

Because if the question to any of those is not "hell yes", I kindly ask you to
step out of this discussion [2].

Here is why. People in the community have been putting effort into it; it
does, in the end, not matter much whether it is used widely outside of the
community or not. It matters whether the community itself wants to use it.

You can go ahead and try to force the people who are already working on and
with it to change their minds, but I am sure you’ll find a place your energy
is more well spent.

Unless you can bring up more solid arguments except hand-wavy "this is too
complex" things, please stop shouting at people for doing all the right
things:

- Before inventing a new protocol, check if there’s something which fits in
the domain already and serves the purpose.
- Do things and talk about them.
- Make concrete proposals which solve problems at hand.

If you have issues which can be solved in the spec (like lack of specification
what values are valid for `os`, which we would also have to solve one way or
the other when reinventing another wheel), you are welcome to bring them up of
course.

Thank you for your consideration.

regards,
Jonas

   [1]: see e.g. here https://linkmauve.fr/software/clients.html
   [2]: In exchange, I’ll grant you a front-row seat in case this fails for
        any of the complexity reasons, and I’ll also make you a huge "Told You
        So" sign you can hold up. You would’ve earned it.