[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: DOAP usage in XMPP

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Fri Jan 15 12:25:46 UTC 2021

On 13 Jan 2021, at 17:29, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> Some discussion in Council as to where this fits. I'm quite happy it is useful as a XEP.
>
> So, is this:
>
> Informational: It's a Best Practice for the community. We are recommending that projects use DOAP.
>
> Standards Track: It's a specification we want to standardize for the community to use. Section 4.2 contains new bits of XML and - presumably - would be developed via a Standards Track process.
>
> Procedural: It's something the XSF should do (ie, receive the DOAP files and process them somehow).
>
> I think there are arguments for all of these, and I've not made up my mind.
>
> What do people think?

I think Informational is best. It isn’t really part of the XSF procedures, so Procedural seems off. It’s also not part of the standards that we are producing for the sake of XMPP interoperability, so Standards Track seems like it would be confusing. That leaves Informational, and I can’t see any argument against that particularly.

(Passing no judgement on whether it *should* be a XEP, merely that if it is to be a XEP I think Informational makes sense)

/K