[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC Mention Notifications

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Wed Jan 20 15:54:33 UTC 2021

On Dienstag, 5. Januar 2021 18:00:02 CET Jonas Schäfer wrote:

> Title: MUC Mention Notifications
> Abstract:
> This specification documents how a user may be informed when they're
> mentioned in a MUC which they're not currently joined to.

One note which I think wasn’t mentioned in the pre-discussion thread for this
ProtoXEP:

This can be used to spam users, without cooperation of the MUC service.

1. Add a user to the affiliation list.
2. Configure the MUC to send out mentions.
3. Mention them with a reference.
4. ???
5. Profit!

There are probably ways to prevent that, but those need to be written down in
the Security Considerations before this can move on to Draft (it is OK as-is
to move to Experimental, hence I’ll vote +1 in the meeting in a few mins).

kind regards,
Jonas