[Standards] Council Minutes 2021-01-06

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Jan 20 15:59:12 UTC 2021

* Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> [2021-01-12 16:04]:
> 4a) Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC Mention Notifications - https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/muc-mention-notifications.html

-0

I stick to what I said before:

> Georg thinks this should be configurable per member, not just per room by admin, otherwise mentioning somebody in all rooms you're present in could serve as a DoS redirection vector.

I see merit in having this as a per-occupant configuration, not
per-room.

It probably needs to be strictly limited to room members, so that an
admin can easily inhibit it for a given user. We need to extend room
membership in public rooms to allow users to become a member on their
own for that to work. This would also provide some nice long-term
benefits for making MUC more robust (e.g. MUC Push) and for reducing the
amount of useless presence updates (inhibit / delay presence-unavailable
from members in case they reappear some seconds later).

That said, it will need a (slightly?) different configuration mechanism
(maybe per-user ad-hoc configuration). We might want to retain the
admin-managed feature flag, but I'm not sure about its use-cases.

What remains is the straight-forward use of <forwarded> for forwarding
mentions. That said, I'm not blocking this XEP, but I think that
implementing all of the above things would make it look significantly
different from where it is now.

Georg