[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Service Outage Status

Mathieu Pasquet mathieui at mathieui.net
Wed Jan 20 17:12:12 UTC 2021

On 20.01.2021 17:04, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
>A couple notes:
>
>- I think it would be worthwhile to extend this to also include future
>outages. Hence, make the current root an array, or rather an object with a
>single property which is an array, because this is how JSON do or so.

While I find the idea commendable, I am not sure about it; being able
to announce one future outage seems within scope of the current format,
while having a list of (recent/current/future) events adds more structural
complexity to something that is otherwise an almost flat format.
(I wish it was entirely flat but sadly json does not have xml:lang…)

>- Nice choice of namespace :)

Thanks.

>- I could start a bikeshed now about the naming of properties because I’ve
>done way too much schema writing the past few weeks, but I won’t. It’s ok,
>they’re just opaque strings it’s ok they’re just .... *ahem*.

The schema probably needs to be ironed out a bit more, with more
specific element definitions, and maybe see if we need more of them.
(especially clearer separation of maintenance, planned maintenance,
and accidents).

Regards,
Mathieu