[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Service Outage Status

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jan 20 18:42:57 UTC 2021

On 1/20/21 4:55 PM, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:

> Title: Service Outage Status
> Abstract:
> This document defines an XMPP protocol extension that enables a server
> to communicate issues with the server to all users in a semantic
> manner.

This uses 'tmp' namespaces (urn:xmpp:tmp:sos) which we do not any more.
Please use instead 'urn:xmpp:sos:0' as namespace.

One issue with 'tmp' namespaces is that it is often not clear when an
protocol will leave its "temporary" state. Which could ultimately
resulting in a final XEP using a 'tmp' namespace, or having to perform a
namespace bump just to change the namespace and without any breaking
protocol changes. Both options are not ideal, hence 'tmp' namespaces are
discouraged.

- Florian