[Standards] XEP-0060: order of items

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Wed Nov 10 15:40:54 UTC 2021

Le mercredi 10 novembre 2021, 15:26:55 CET Holger Weiß a écrit :
> * Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> [2021-11-10 10:39]:
> > It should be spelled out clearly how items are returned (even if
> > unordered, bug again I don't think that it's a good idea to have
> > unordered items by default on pubsub).
>
> Updating the spec won't update implementations, so unless you also add a
> new '60 feature that servers can announce, the client still can't make
> assumptions regarding the ordering, no?

I saw that as something only missing from text, and spelling it out clearly
would allow to open bug reports on pubsub implementations following a different
order (from my interpretation, the order was clear from examples, but I know
that examples are not specifications).

I can update XEP-0413 to make implementation of "creation" optional (with
suitable disco#info) thus XEP-0060 would be officially unordered. I just hope
that implemenation will follow and we won't keep the status quo for years.

King Regards
Goffi