[Standards] XEP-0060: order of items

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Thu Nov 11 10:16:58 UTC 2021

Hi,

Le jeudi 11 novembre 2021 08:15:09 CET, vous avez écrit :
> I concur with Holger on this one. The ticket you linked shows that at least
> one implementation has interpreted the text differently, so this is not a
> "clarification" where everyone agrees, but a thing where not everyone is in
> agreement.

Yes I'm sold too, in current state of thing (with XEP-0060 being stable), the
best option to fix that is to go with XEP-0413. I think that It should be
spelled out clearly that ordering is implementation dependant in XEP-0060.

> As a tangential, I'd suggest to drop the MAM part from '413 to narrow the
> scope unless you specifically have a use-case for that (as MAM now properly
> supports selecting a range by before-id/after-id, so you can page backwards
> with RSM as needed).

MAM ordering is an important use case, I'm already using it for full-text
search.

Besides, MAM is even useful for generic pubsub use case (i.e. without search),
as it returns items separately in messages, while pubsub returns everything in
a single stanza. Returning everything in a single stanza is flawed because you
can easily reach the stanza site limit of your server, I've already been hit
by that (while speaking about it, I realise that MAM example are incorrect in
XEP-0413, they are not returned with messages, I'll fix that in next revision).

> kind regards,
> Jonas

Cheers
Goffi