[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0459 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2022)

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 29 18:59:48 UTC 2021

* Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> [2021-09-29 18:32]:
>1. As part of the work on XEP-0313, two XEPs got split out:
>
>- XEP-0441: Message Archive Management Preferences
>- XEP-0442: Pubsub Message Archive Management
>
>I think that at least XEP-0441 belongs into Advanced IM to keep the
>same functionality as before.

Removing functionality from a Compliance Suite is problematic in itself?
How so? And regarding XEP-0441 specifically, wasn't the functionality
optional back when it was in XEP-0313?

Anyway, in my experience, exposing the option to disable MAM can yield
undesired results. End users might see no need for a server-side archive
if they're not aware of how it helps with reliable message delivery and
multi-device support. XEP-0441 itself says:

> After observing XEP-0313 usage in the wild, it became apparent that
> preferences were not often used, and can interfere with clients that
> use the archive for synchronization of messages received by the user
> while disconnected. Therefore it is not actively encouraged for an
> implementation/deployment to offer this functionality.

[ https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0441.html#intro ]

It seems weird to add this to a Compliance Suite while at the same time
"not actively encouraging" implementations to offer this feature.

Holger