[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Events

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Fri Sep 30 11:35:17 UTC 2022

On 2022/09/23, Jonas Schäfer wrote:

> Title: Events
> Abstract:
> This specification describe how to handle events with XMPP.

Thanks Jonas!

Thanks Goffi!
I have skimmed over the spec, and here are a few comments that shouldn't
pose any issue for the move to experimental.

> § 5. Events Nodes
> [..]
> Otherwise, a node may be published on any pubsub service. An events node
> SHOULD be prefixed with 'urn:xmpp:events:0/', which SHOULD be followed
> by an unique identifier.

I suggest using XEP-0462[0] (PubSub Type Filtering) instead, as it's
exactly what it is here to do. Fill in `pubsub#type` with
`urn:xmpp:events:0` and use an opaque unique identifier as a node name.

I would also argue this should be used for nodes on PEP, but I agree
advantages are less obvious when node name equals ns.

> § 6.4.1
> If the online location is on an XMPP MUC, an <x/> element qualified by
> the 'jabber:x:conference' namespace as described in Direct MUC
> Invitations (XEP-0249) can be used.

Shouldn't this “can” be a MAY or SHOULD instead? in case of a MUC.
I wonder how else the information that it is a MUC would be transmitted,
as I only see elements to describe HTTP addresses.

I understand your main use-case is to convert from AP, which happens in
the HTTP world, but maybe there should be a way to add a URI instead of
just a URL?

> § 6.5
> The <rsvp> element MUST contain form as specified in Data Forms
> (XEP-0004)

“a form”. It's obvious in the sentence below that it's a single form,
but this one is ambiguous.

> Example: Romeo Submit his RSVP Answer
> <value>>urn:xmpp:events:rsvp:0</value>

Contains an additional ">".

That's it.
Thanks a lot for the work on the AP gateway!