[Summit] [Standards] XMPP the future of whiteboarding

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Jun 20 13:58:53 CDT 2008

On 06/20/2008 12:53 PM, Dietrich Ayala wrote:
> This is an example of shared whiteboarding by syncing the DOM of an
> SVG fragment over XMPP. I thought it was neat because it piggybacked
> on pre-existing Web technologies.
>
> http://hyperstruct.net/2007/2/24/xml-sync-islands-let-the-web-sharing-begin
>
> What are the relevant XEPs or other specs in this space right now?

Well, we basically have two competing approaches:

1. Shared XML Editing with SVG:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sxe.html
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard.html

This is the approach taken by the Psi project (GSoC project a year or
two ago) and it could be harmonized with Coccinella and some other
open-source projects, I think.

2. A dedicated whiteboarding protocol developed and used by some folks
in the U.S. military:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard2.html