[Summit] IM people hiding?

anders conbere aconbere at gmail.com
Thu May 29 23:56:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Zack Sargent <ZSargent at voxitas.com> wrote:
> Okay, so this may not be an appropriate forum, but I'm tired and obviously
> not looking in the right places.  Sorry about the long and possibly boorish
> first post, but I couldn't find anywhere MORE appropriate to ask the
> following sorts of things:
>

> #1  Let's say that I worked for a national VOIP company and we believe that
> offering services tied together with XMPP is the shizzle.  In fact, one of
> my key developers seems to have large amounts of XMPP new-logo colored
> Kool-aid in his system.  He's made video calls and PSTN hookups using our
> network (and some lab gear, or I'd have him flogged) and, oh, by the way,
> XMPP instead of SIP registration.  We would like to learn more, and perhaps
> sponsor work a la Google, HP, etc.  How do we as a company help this
> community (and, as communities go, in turn be helped by it)?
>

> #2  We are consummate geeks.  You cannot out AT&T AT&T.  If you are in the
> voice biz to provide dialtone, ummm … well, there are people that DO that.
> We want to do stuff NEW.  We want to be used for things that we may not even
> know our network is getting used for (almost typo'd that as "sued for" … but
> that's common with Verizon in your space).  Would love to RECRUIT someone
> with XMPP savvy (PHP, MySQL and SIP all big pluses).  Is that something we
> could do at the summit if one of my programmers and I showed up in July?  Or
> would that be tacky?
>

> #3  I would love to show up and listen; Jon would love to participate.  I'm
> just a network hack with some interest; he's actually a programmer/VOIP
> engineer.  Any interest in VOIP <-> XMPP?  If you guys would have interest
> in us coming and listening/rudely interjecting, I might make some
> arrangements for us to get there.

I'm not really involved with these parts of XMPP but there will almost
certainly be people at the summit talking about Jingle (see
xep-0166[1] and xep-0167[2]) an xmpp technology that's being used to
provide VOIP type services. I'm sure that any experience you have in
the field would be welcome and appreciated.

So since this is a relatively quiete channel I wanted to make sure I
got a word in :)

If you want to know more about what's going on in the XMPP world with
regards to VOIP you probably want to sign-up for standards at xmpp.org

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html
[2] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0167.html

~ Anders