[Summit] FOSDEM Real-Time Lounge / stands / demos

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Thu Dec 3 19:17:43 UTC 2015

On 03/12/15 19:45, Winfried Tilanus wrote:
> On 03-12-15 19:11, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
>> The real-time lounge is aimed at real-time communication (voice, video,
>> chat, social media etc) or using XMPP or SIP as part of a solution.
>>
>> Does this sound like it matches closely enough with your project?
>
> Yes, the aim is to create real time collaboration between multiple
> actors (human and automated) in the care process. That would involve a
> real time exchange of something like FHIR/HL7, but also more classical
> functions like a social network and video calls. At the same time we aim
> for a distributed, open architecture that is still able to maintain
> privacy and security. We haven't decided on the architecture of the
> 'backbone' yet, but IMHO it is inevitable to use XMPP.
>
> I believe this project is a nice example of how real time technologies
> have their use beside the classical communication like voice, video,
> chat, social media etc.
>
>> Or is your project more about real-time data access?  That may or may
>> not be a good match for the lounge.
>
> What is the difference between real time access and real time collaboration?

There are many other real-time technologies that are probably a little
out of scope, like real-time performance monitoring (Ganglia) and
real-time market data systems but what you've described does sound like
it is in the real-time communication domain, thanks for clarifying, it
is good to hear about the things you are doing.  Even in the Asterisk
world, they use the term "real-time" to refer to their database-backed
configuration (as opposed to static configuration files) because it does
a database lookup every time it routes a call.

Could you please send your original email on the Free-RTC list as well
so it is tracked in the thread there?  Not everybody participating in
the lounge is on the summit list.