[webteam] End user site

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 16 17:13:54 CDT 2007

Sander Devrieze wrote:
> 2007/7/16, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>:
>> Sander Devrieze wrote:
>> > Then the XSF should send out a press release about this and force
>> > projects that are starting to use something else to revert these
>> > changes. Besides that, where can I find a sexy official logo without
>> > text in it?
>>
>> We've been through this many times on the XSF member list.
>>
>> The XSF defines XMPP "core" (via the IETF) and XMPP extensions. It is
>> (IMHO) none of the XSF's business what people call the applications they
>> build using XMPP.
>
> I see confusion. Confusion means fraction. Fraction means a *big*
> threat to our so valuable and unique protocol community. No protocol
> community means "be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what
> you accept from others". "Be conservative in what you do, be liberal
> in what you accept from others" means complex software. Complex
> software means huge entry barriers for new software players. Hope you
> get my cryptic point ;-)
>
> Anyway, IMHO the XSF has to do something to solve the confusion; we're
> a protocol *community* and in that way NOT comparable to adopters of
> other protocols. If you want to keep the community part something
> should be done, do nothing and you will only have small project
> communities left.

Sander, you're not a member of the XSF so you don't have a voice in what
the XSF does. Feel free to apply for membership. It's open.

I have been through *years* of headaches about Jabber vs. XMPP. IMHO as
far as the XSF is concerned, that debate is *over*. It is the XMPP
Standards Foundation and the XSF talks about XMPP.

What others do -- specifically, what *we* do at jabber.org -- is another
story. The fact that I am committed to building a new jabber.org website
and making that the hub of the developer and user community speaks for
itself. I am committed to Jabber. But XMPP is available to people who
want to use that term for their own geeky purposes.

I am NOT going to debate the issue further on this list. Let's build a
kick-ass site and that will do good things for "Jabber".

Jabber is to XMPP as the Web is to HTTP.