[Jabber-IETF] Agenda items

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Tue Oct 1 09:34:28 CDT 2002

Hello, Pete!

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:21:49 +0100, you said:

 >>> "Streams MUST use UTF-8 encoding.  It is especially important to avoid
 >>> encodings which are not supersets of US-ASCII, such as EBCDIC or UTF-16."

 >> the second probably isn't that uncontroversial, but i'd like to hear from
 >> some folks who use jabber outside of the romantic languages to get their
 >> take.

 PC> Good idea.  Is there anyone on the list who is able to comment from this
 PC> viewpoint?

I see only one advantage of using non-unicode charsets -- message body size is
less in few times.  But client that connect with one-byte encoding can't see
many symbols from another ones (of course, many peoples don't want to read
non-native language).  As for me, doubling of message size not important, and
e.g. if I set russian encoding KOI8-R, then I can't see some ukrainian symbols
(my native language is Russian, but I live in Ukraine).  And I'd like to forget
about all 4 russian charsets, and use only UTF-8, but at this time too many
programs not understand UTF-8 correctly. :(

Of course this is my opinion, maybe someone want this feature.