[Jabber-IETF] Dialback protocol

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 07:34:10 CDT 2002

Johannes Ernst wrote:

> Yes please. There's a lot of good knowledge out there that is -- well,
> not quite "required" -- but close to that, in order to be able to do
> real implementations. And without that knowledge, all the standards in
> the world don't help much. If people were willing to share that, that'd
> be great and help adoption greatly.

I'll write something about dialback when I get some time, and propose it
for addition to XMPP core.  It may be a few days before I get time though.

> [Side note: all of this "knowledge" is mostly not "normative", so I'm
> not sure it should go into documents that are supposed to become
> standards, but it should go "somewhere"!]

I think a good RFC should be self-contained.  So provided you know
obvious basics like what instant messaging is, you should be able to
pick up the XMPP RFCs and implement the protocol.  You shouldn't need to
ask questions of anyone.

You probably never reach that ideal in practice, but IMHO it should be
the goal.

--
Pete