[Jabber-IETF] Agenda items

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Mon Oct 7 12:35:42 CDT 2002

On 10/7/02 8:58 AM, "Pete Chown" <1 at 234.cx> wrote:

> Iain Shigeoka wrote:
>
>> BTW, Pete, you may be interested in the JNG (Jabber: Next Generation) and
>> Jabber Framing discussions we had in standards-jig about a month or so ago.
>
> Can I read a summary of this work somewhere?

None that I know of. Mike Lin's binary framing ideas are at:

http://mikelin.mit.edu/xmpp/jng/

> Do you think this work should be included in the RFCs that we prepare?
> Are we going to be specifying Jabber as it is used right now, or
> developing a new revision of the Jabber protocol?

I believe the idea for the current IETF work is to standardize what we have
now. So any JNG oriented work would be done under a new WG. I'm definitely
not the right person to answer such scope questions though.

>>  In addition, I
>> think Jabber Inc has some mods to their server to basically do the same via
>> null terminated XML in order to support Flash Jabber clients using Flash
>> MX's XMLSocket.
>
> This could also be something that needs incorporating in our spec.

It might be nice. There is a lot of Flash deployed out there and using the
built in XMLSocket would be extremely useful in allowing XMPP to penetrate
into Flash sites.

> Presumably this would be a 16-bit NULL value when the connection is in
> UTF-16 mode.

I would presume. It is actually something you'd have to check with the Flash
docs/spec because we'd basically be adding the workaround to support
macromedia's flash implementation of this "xml socket". Anyone have Flash MX
or otherwise know how it operates in modes other than UTF-8?

-iain