[Jabber-IETF] Agenda items

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Wed Oct 9 19:42:49 CDT 2002

> I assert that existing implementations will return an error to the user
> if they send a sasl:mechanism request - maybe we should send a request
> always, rather than expecting our definition of the sasl namespace
> indicates a request? e.g.
>
> <stream:stream to='example.com' xmlns='jabber:client'
> xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'>
>
> <saslish:request
> xmlns:saslish=''http://www.iana.org/assignments/sasl-mechanisms'/>
>
> if a server does not understand SASL authentication, it would respond with
>
> <saslish:mechanisms type='error'
> xmlns:saslish='http://www.iana.org/assignments/sasl-mechanisms'>
> <error code='406'>Not Acceptable</error></saslish:mechanisms>

Is that documented though? I think thats just a byproduct of the
relatively poor checking that jabberd currently does (which most other
implementations mimic).

FWIW, at the moment, the upcoming jabberd 2.0 just drops unknown XML
fragments (as per xmpp-core 7.3, "Nodes and services ... SHOULD ignore
any non-conformant elements or attributes on the incoming XML stream").
This makes sense to me - if I'm a server, and you send me something I
don't recognise, then I don't know the correct way to flag an error.