[Jabber-IETF] SASL issues

Alexey Melnikov mel at messagingdirect.com
Fri Oct 11 08:01:41 CDT 2002

Pete Chown wrote:

> Marshall Rose wrote:
>
>  > not true. the "sl" in "sasl" refers to "security layer" which is the
>  > term that sasl uses to refer to message integrity and privacy.
>
> Ah, interesting, I didn't know that.  So if I wanted to use Kerberos, I
> would negotiate the GSS-API SASL mechanism, and the Kerberos-V GSS-API
> mechanism, is that right?

I am not sure what you mean in the last sentence.

There is a SASL mechanism with the name "GSSAPI" which is Kerberos V5 under
GSS API.
GSSAPI SASL mechanism allows to negotiate integrity or privacy protection.

Regards,
Alexey Melnikov
R & D, ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect
Watford, UK

Work Phone: +44 1923 81 2877
Home Page: http://orthanc.ab.ca/mel

I speak for myself only, not for my employer.