[Jabber-IETF] internationalization/localization

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Tue Oct 15 15:16:19 CDT 2002

Ben Schumacher wrote:

> David Waite wrote:
>
> | I don't think this is sufficient, just because there is text
> reported in
> | presence and iq elements for client display as well. If we want a
> | localized version of the registration instructions for a service
> exposed
> | from another server, there needs to be some way of indicating the
> locale
> | of that particular XML chunk. The only other way around this is for
> | servers to have a separate connection for each locale since the
> | multiplex users between servers.
> |
> | The presence of the xml:lang attribute could either be specific to the
> | schema for namespaces such as registration, or on the info-query
> | element; I prefer the latter. The lack of an xml:lang attribute
> probably
> | should indicate some default - either the default set in the
> | stream:stream header, or English.
>
> Can we just make this a more general assertation then? An xml:lang
> attribute SHOULD appear on the stream:stream header, otherwise an
> implementation/installation specific default will be used. If an
> xml:lang attribute appears on an info-query or message element, its
> value supersedes the default of the stream. Does this make sense, or am
> I missing the point?

Thats fine, but it means three things:

1. A compliant server implementation will have to understand the
xml:lang attribute on each XML chunk and add them between the parsing of
the client input and redirection out over an interserver connection,
since the default stream:stream language may not be the same.

2. Some existing implementations ignore (but do not remove) unknown
attributes. This means that an info-query request for registration
information in a particular locale may return a result in the server
locale, but with an xml:lang attribute indicating the requested locale.

3. The server may stamp its default locale in its stream:stream header
to the client. If it does not, it would need to indicate the locale of
every XML chunk sent to the client, or the client would have no way of
knowing this default locale.

-David Waite