[Jabber-IETF] Charter changes requested by the IESG

Pete Resnick presnick at qualcomm.com
Fri Oct 18 11:56:19 CDT 2002

So the IESG wants a couple of additions to our charter. The both seem
innocuous, but I wanted to pass them by the group. Please let me know
if anyone has a problem with these changes. Otherwise, I'm going to
tell the IESG "go for it" before Monday rolls around.

First, at the end of the second paragraph, they would like to add:

"Note: If a requirement of RFC2779 or the final CPIM specification
cannot be met, the working group will document why this requirement
cannot be met."

Jeff Schiller explains: "I added a sentence to the second paragraph
that permits deviation from RFC2279 as long as the rationale is
documented (I personally believe that some of the requirements can
only be met if we have a globally deployed PKI in place, which I
don't see happening anytime soon! I don't want this WG to get stuck
in that brand of mud)."

Sounds like a fine piece of advice. They also added an additional paragraph:

"There are facilities, such as chat rooms, shared white-boards and
similar services that are not currently discussed in RFC2778 and
RFC2779. When designing security mechanisms, the working group will
keep in mind that we expect XMPP to be extended or adapted to
facilitate these additional services, so that design decisions can be
made that will not preclude providing these services in the future."

Again, seems OK to keep those things in mind.

Anyone have any problems with those additions?

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick at qualcomm.com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102