[xmppwg] stream:error codes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Oct 22 16:02:23 CDT 2002

I'd like to propose that we add meaningful error and status codes to
XML streams. At a minimum I would see the following:

400 -- Bad Request (e.g., malformed XML, incorrect streams namespace)

404 -- Not Found (no host matching 'to' address of opening stream)

409 -- Conflict (already have existing resource that matches the resource
of the new stream -- in current implementations the existing stream is
closed and the new one is accepted)

500 -- Internal Server Error (e.g., shutdown of session manager)

We could also implement some 300-series redirects, 407 (Registration
Required), and 501 (if a node attempts to connect using an unsupported
mechanism). Any others?

I would see these being implemented as so:

  1. client sends bad xml (or whatever)

  2. server sends error and closes the stream:

       <stream:error code='400'>Bad Request</stream:error>
     </stream>

Jabber Software Foundation