[xmppwg] stream:error codes

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Wed Oct 23 14:53:53 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002, at 10:40 America/Denver, Jer wrote:

> The original intention of the stream namespace was to be a simple
> "on/off" carrier, a simple wrapper, and the application namespace(s)
> would do all of the work and communicate any/all of the errors in a
> way that they understand.  Besides the already mentioned problems with
> a 409, a 404 also doesn't make sense, since the to="" attribute is in
> the jabber:* namespace, not part of the stream.  A few of the other
> error codes might be helpful to give the application some hint as to
> why it disconnected, but they don't really provide any new
> functionality other than more deterministic disconnected errors.
>
> Jer

on <stream:stream to='jabber.org' xmlns='jabber:client'
xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'> , the 'to' attribute
is in the namespace of the element which contains it, being the
http://etherx.jabber.org/streams namespace.

I don't really see the point for the majority of the stream error codes
either. Perhaps just a <stream:redirect> element?