[xmppwg] RE: [Jabber-IETF] Entire revised charter

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Oct 24 11:50:23 CDT 2002

There is no precise way for us to estimate how many people use XMPP for IM
or anything else. Many downloads of the open-source jabberd server are
installed on company intranets and are closed off from the public Intraned
(so we never see traffic from them, even though we know they exist because
people talk about them on the admin email list). So in general we have no
strong technical numbers in your sense, any more than there are strong
technical numbers for how many email users there are or how many Apache
installs. We do know that there have been many thousands of downloads of
the open-source jabberd server (well over 50,000 -- although some of those
may be duplicates). We're not sure of the exact number of deployed
servers, nor of the average number of users per server. There are other
server implementations, as well, and deployments of those at some larger
companies / portals.

Any suggestions on how to collect firm numbers?

Jabber Software Foundation