[xmppwg] RE: [Jabber-IETF] Entire revised charter

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Oct 25 09:59:36 CDT 2002

Yes, we decided that HTTP-HEAD requests are just as effective for checking
for updates. Update.jabber.org used a very whacky protocol, that was far to
complicated, and it required a central db for projects, etc..

Jabberd AFAIK has this capability (of using the old protocol).. it's just
hitting nothing these days.

In more general terms, having a "phone home" feature in jabberd doesn't
allow us to count servers behind corp. firewalls that don't ever talk to the
outside (most of the sys-admins for these boxes, turn this feature off).

pgm.