[xmppwg] Namespace with fixed prefix issues

Lisa Dusseault lisa at xythos.com
Wed Oct 30 10:04:45 CST 2002

> So it's part of our legacy, and I don't like it either :)  Couldn't
the
> spec require that the namespaces and prefixes are actually handled
> properly, but for compatibility reasons the "stream:" prefix should be
> used? If so, is it worth it?

I think that works very well, actually.
 1. Require (MUST) that any compliant xmpp entity must accept any
namespace prefix
 2. Note (non-normative) that for historical reasons some entities may
only accept "stream",

Predicted result: almost every implementation will send only "stream"
but hopefully correctly accept any prefix.

lisa