[xmppwg] character escaping

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sat Jun 12 18:26:03 CDT 2004

Hi,

The XML generator I'm using doesn't escape the '>' character.  For example,
entering "ok>" in a message produces:

As I understand things, this is legal XML.  However, a user brought the
following bit from xmpp-core to my attention:

11.1 Restrictions
     * character data or attribute values containing unescaped
characters that map to the predefined entities (Section 4.6 therein);
such characters MUST be escaped

At first glance, this text appears to be redundant, since if you were using
XML then you'd already know this.  However, upon closer inspection, this text
could be interpretted to mean that all characters with associated predefined
entities "must" be escaped, even if they are not normally required to be.

Do we really want to go there?

-Justin