[xmppwg] multiplex?

Philipp Hancke fippo at mechanik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun May 9 10:34:03 CDT 2004

Hello,

excuse me asking, I decided to look into XMPP and found
something about draft-ietf-xmpp-core-23 that isn't completely
clear to me:

9.2.2 Presence Semantics
[...] In general, a publishing entity SHOULD send a presence stanza with
no 'to' attribute, in which case the server to which the entity is
connected SHOULD broadcast or multiplex that stanza to all subscribing
entities.

What is the definition of 'multiplex'? How is it to be distinguished
from broadcast? I haven't seen the term defined anywhere in the
document.
How is the stanza distributed to the recipients?

Philipp