[xmppwg] multiplex?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon May 10 14:51:17 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:16:20PM +0200, Philipp Hancke wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> > Sorry about this, I thought this was on a different list.  The reference to
> > JEP-33 probably isn't appropriate for this forum.
> No no wait don't run away..
> Isn't JEP-33 just the kind of thing XMPP needs to be able to handle high
> popularity without becoming very expensive in terms of network usage?

XMPP already is highly popular -- I estimate 10+ million IM users. And
so far the network usage is by no means extreme: on average, probably
about 15 bits/second for every connected user, so that a server with
1,000 concurrent users would consume about 15 kbs of bandwidth, 10k
users would consume 150 kbs, etc.

> For example consider the bulletin feature on friendster... sending a
> message to all of your friends is the most popular feature. Isn't
> distributing a message to all of your friends the same problem as
> distributing presence? Would be fantastic to have a solution to this!

I'm still not convinced there is a problem with the XMPP specs as they
are today. However, in certain situations, extended addressing (as in
JEP-0033) might be helpful.

Jabber Software Foundation