On 4/26/24 7:05 AM, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
Hi Dan,
On Freitag, 26. April 2024 13:40:50 CEST Dan Caseley wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, 12:01 JC Brand, <lists@opkode.com> wrote:
<snip/>
To section 2.5 ("Be friendly and supportive"), I would like to add after the first paragraph:
This includes being mindful of the abilities of others; nobody is born an expert in anything and we all had to learn at some point. Be supportive of newcomers and learners. Do not be patronizing or condescending.
I agree and support adding this paragraph.
I like the first and third sentences. The second sentence implies a onus that one shouldn't remain silent when a learner asks a question. Given the volume of unpaid volunteers, I believe that not being actively supportive whilst also not being actively condescending either, by saying nothing at all, is perfectly acceptable. I'd like to reword this to make that clear.
Thank you. This is a valid point and I wouldn't want anyone to have the impression that they are obligated to help anyone. If you have a concrete proposal for a wording, I'd be curious to hear it (while keeping the "positive" form of supportiveness. I'd like to add more positive examples to the CoC so that it's not just "don't do this", but also "do this").
In my experience in leadership roles at the XSF and IETF, the best thing to do in such situations is to say "I'm not an expert on Topic X, but let me introduce you to this person across the room who knows more about it than I do." With that said, I am somewhat skeptical that we can describe every possible circumstance in rules like this - there's a large role for situational judgment in human interactions. Peter