On Wed, Apr 1, 2026 at 2:01 PM Matthew Wild <mwild1@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on being able to undo a XEP-0425 moderation action.
The use cases I have in mind are:
- admin accidentally moderated the wrong message - one admin moderates a message, but after consideration/discussion with other admins, it is decided it shouldn't have been moderated - reverting automated moderation after human review
This last point is the one that sparked this email, however I have experienced the other cases as well over the past couple of years.
For the automated case, all I necessarily want is for clients to hide (by default) messages in a group chat which are likely to be spam, for example if some trusted but non-admin users have reported it. When an admin does respond, they could then moderate the message fully, or unhide it (if the report was incorrect, e.g. malicious).
This hiding/unhiding could be a new XEP, or we could solve "unmoderation", which solves the other use cases and probably makes the most sense.
I sort of get your last use case with regards to reverting automated moderation. I’m terrified of all the extra UI I have to built around this. This basically means I have to build a moderation control center into my app. I get that for a full fledged discord replacement / large community chat platform we will need something like that. But if this is our goal then there are so many other things that need to be implemented first. cheers Daniel