Hi, Sorry for replying so late Le vendredi 3 juillet 2026, 14:15:40 heure d’été d’Europe centrale Daniel Gultsch a écrit :
This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0424.
Title: Message Retraction Abstract: This specification defines a method for indicating that a message should be retracted. [SNIP]
1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?
yes
2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?
yes
3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?
Already implemented in Libervia
4. Do you have any security concerns related to this specification?
I think that the fallback is wrong, it is a kind of Streisand effect: "Look at this message that the sender tries to delete, it's probably important and/or embarrassing". Instead of that; I would like to have a notification by supporting clients saying "I have understood the retraction request, and removed the message". Let's assume that I am in a room with 4 people + myself, if I send a message by mistake, and want to retract it, it would be useful to have 4 notifications saying "I did remove this message". Of course clients can be lying, but as the XEP states, we can't guarantee retraction anyway. However, assuming that clients are not lying (which should be case of most clients), and with displayed status, we can be relatively confident that a message has not been seen.
5. Is the specification accurate and clearly written?
yes
Your feedback is appreciated!
Thanks the work on this spec. Best, Goffi