Hi Elle, My main point remains that I'd rather have the XSF spend time on improving XMPP itself rather than bikeshed on tooling every once in a while. It is very demotivating for people working on this to get side line opinions without actual ongoing involvement. IANAL, but the use of any of the XSF materials is covered by our IPR statement and I believe that explicitly allows any such use as training LLMs. I don't see this as a negative for the XSF. This doesn't negate concerns for *other* organizations or projects. I will not go into my personal opinions on political, societal, or ethical choices or opinions, by anyone or any corporation, here. I do have them, as many here can attest, and they usually go with a beverage in a private, in-person setting. I also do not believe that the XSF should take positions or make statements and will make every effort to keep it that way. Cheers, ralphm On 27 August 2025 22:32:10 CEST, Elle <elle+xmpp-standards@weathered-steel.dev> wrote:
Hi Ralph,
I'm not sure to what extent you're using Github's tooling, but the CI config for Woodpecker is very close to Github's CI.
I understand the effort in retooling is non-trivial, but Github is becoming increasingly hostile to FOSS projects. They are very close to forcing use of AI on hosted projects, and of course their AI already scrapes all existing hosted projects. With no way to reasonably opt-out.
Plus you know, Microsoft actively supporting the genocide in Gaza.
On Wednesday, August 27th, 2025 at 8:16 PM, Ralph Meijer <ralphm@ik.nu> wrote:
On 27/08/2025 12.55, Florian Schmaus wrote:
[CC'ing standards@, as I'd like to engage the community regarding our usage of Github]
On 07/08/2025 18.50, E.M. wrote:
[..]
* XEP-0001 and 0143 changes need approval from Board ** Call to provide you input to the changes and place a comment or review. Link 1: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/1412
This contains some good changes, like the advise to read, understand, and agree to our IPR. However, I find the the strong emphasis on Github PRs very problematic. Especially the part where we tell people that if they don't have a github account and are not willing to sign up for one, they should find someone who has one.
The XSF should not require the usage of a propriety service for contributions.
On the other side, I do acknowledge that using a CI-based system for contributions has its advantage. Therefore, a change which mentions that we also accept contributions via Github, outlining the existence of a CI there, would be acceptable to me.
But it is my strong believe that we should always accept contributions via mail.
Therefore -1, as is.
On a side note: We may also want to point out that it is possible to validate changes locally. And we probably should look into codeforge alternatives. But that is outside of the scope of this PR.
We have discussed this at various occasions in the past. The outcome was that we need to make technology choices and create and maintain tooling to maintain the processes of the XSF. A choice was made, after consulting the Infrastructure Team and the XMPP Council, to (continue to) use GitHub and associated tooling. Reasons for doing it this way is familiarity with the tooling, minimizing maintenance, and low appetite for retooling.
The XSF is an organization that entirely depends on volunteers to do anything. It is already hard to get our core functions staffed and actually have work done. The effort required for retooling and subsequent maintenance is better spent on progressing on our core functions.
I also do not agree the XSF cannot use proprietary services. The XSF is an open standards organization for the entire XMPP community which includes projects and contributors in the Free Software and/or Open Source Software communities (take your preferred one), as well as closed source and everything in between. Commercial companies and non-commercial entities alike. There is no inherent or implied leaning to any choice made here, nor is there a need for a preference.
The changes (including the one below) simply outline the current process, with XEP-0001 deferring to XEP-0143 for the details. XEP-0143 clearly provides a way to provide changes or initial contributions without using GitHub, and people are free to clone our repos to facilitate people to interact more directly with Git without GitHub.
+1, thanks for writing this.
I reviewed and approved both PRs.
Kind regards,
Ralph Meijer
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org