Elle. Good day. On Fri, 29 Aug 2025 06:19:14 +0000 Elle <elle+xmpp-standards@weathered-steel.dev> wrote:
Hi Badri and Schimon,
I have started work on porting over the [xsf/xeps](https://codeberg.org/xsf-org/xeps) repository. At the moment, it is just a mirror, and I have started reviewing the Github CI workflow, and the `tools/github_auto_triage_pr.sh` script.
There is a [codeberg-cli](https://codeberg.org/Aviac/codeberg-cli) tool which aims to be a replacement for the `gh` tool.
I also spent a good portion of time reviewing the current state of the Codeberg/Forgejo implementation of the ForgeFed (https://forgefed.org/) protocol. So far, they look to have implemented submitting "Likes" (equivalent of GitHub stars) on repositories from other Forgejo instances, Mastodon, and a couple other sources. While somewhat tangential to the main porting effort, I think contributing to ForgeFed will solve especially the issue of maintenance burden for email-submitted PRs/Issues.
Good. I will be glad to know of further progress. Please do inform me if I can be of help.
If we want to start a MUC to discuss development / coordination, just let me know.
Regarding my "reproval" of the XSF, that again was not my intention. I was making a point that even deeply technical decisions, like not backdooring an encryption protocol, have philosophical and political components, as well. If the usage of "apolitical" in this community is meant to be "politically neutral", as was stated earlier in the thread, then I understand and agree with the XSF stance to a certain degree.
The argument being public is mostly not good. I do have arguments against concerns with XSF members and they do respond, albeit I am often not content with their responds. Hence, suggesting a system would be more workable than arguing with some of them.
However, Schimon your framing of "red" vs. "blue" political "teams" is highly reductionist. Political, social, and ethical convictions consist of a much more subtle and varied set of ideas. Even the idea of political tolerance of one's ideological opposites is itself a political position, not an "apolitical" one. That term, "apolitical", is usually thrown around as a defense of the status quo and entrenched power structures. Usually under the guise of being an "enlightened", or more rational standpoint.
It was a general realization. I wanted to write a short argument.
Regardless, this is indeed a technical forum, and it was not my intention to delve into a philosophical/political discussion. Apologies for any derailment.
As others have suggested, the technical and risk reduction benefits of switching to a FOSS platform (like Codeberg + Forgejo) are enough to speak for themselves. I have all intentions of putting in the work to provide a proof-of-concept that the migration can be made, and will ultimately lead to a long-term reduction in maintenance burden.
Yes. I think that your assessment is correct. Schimon
On Friday, August 29th, 2025 at 5:28 AM, Schimon Jehudah <sch@fedora.email> wrote:
Badri. Good day.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2025 23:36:21 +0530 Badri badrihippo@disroot.org wrote:
Piling on to express support for non-GitHub options. XSF related pulls is more or less the only reason I'm still on GitHub.
I have it on my bucket list to set up a "sign in with XMPP" option for Forgejo and then pitch in to help the XSF host our own instance, hopefully with federation implemented by that time...
This is interesting.
I guess that doing so would influence XMPP people to join.
I suppose that utilizing OAuth would be of at most benefit.
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0235.xml
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0493.xml
Schimon
...but until that distant future I'd be happy with Codeberg (or an email-based flow).
~Badr
On 27/08/25 8:58 pm, Schimon Jehudah wrote:
I would want to add that I have a strong desire to collaborate over the XSF repositories, yet I am currently very reluctant to do so because of where it is currently hosted at.
So the mentioned services be reasonable for me to begin to collaborate.
Schimon
On Wed, 27 Aug 2025 14:15:28 +0000 Elle elle+xmpp-standards@weathered-steel.dev wrote:
On the other side, I do acknowledge that using a CI-based system for contributions has its advantage. Therefore, a change which mentions that we also accept contributions via Github, outlining the existence of a CI there, would be acceptable to me. Codeberg exists :) As well as Sourcehut.
My org has moved all of our projects over to Codeberg, and the experience has been great (aside from the AI scrapebots plaguing the internet). Their hosted Woodpecker CI is also pretty easy to configure, with an option to host your own CI. Federation is also in the works, so a self-hosted Forgejo instance would be able to sync up with contributors on Codeberg.
Anyway, thank you for keeping the email-based workflow intact.
All the best
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org